Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Khalakand (An Indian dessert/sweet)


My Family visits India once every year. Usually my husband accompanies me and flies back in a few days and I stay and enjoy for a few more days(months..). When I come back the only
request I get is "Can you bring khalakand?". So Khalakand is hands down his favorite sweet... well that made it inevitable for me to try my hand at this lovely dessert. Its so simple yet so delicious and needless to say my husband finished it all. It was a hit! Now we can enjoy khalakand all months round yuhooo!!...Enjoy this everyone, its lovely.

Ingredients:
Khoya (khowa), crumbled - 2 cups
Whole Milk - 1 and 1/2 cup
Paneer ( I used store bought) - 1/4 cup
Powdered Sugar - 5 tbsp
Granulated Sugar - 1/4 cup
cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
Water 1/2 cup
Pinch of Nutmeg
few Chopped almonds

Method:




Bring the water to a boil in a non stick pan. Add milk and let it boil once. Turn the heat down. Add powdered sugar and stir continuously.Now add nutmeg, cardamon powder and granulated sugar.
stir for 10 minutes. Now add crumbled Khoya and paneer.Add the chopped almonds. keep stirring until the mixture thickens and starts leaving the pan.

Grease a pan with a little butter. Pour the above mixture and let cool completely. Refrigerate it for an hour. cut into square pieces and serve.



Note: This is not my own recipe. It has been adapted from recipes from various blogs.

Sending this recipe to Lets cook with cheese event

5 comments:

  1. Hi Humaira,
    Thankyou for linking your recipe to Lets cook with cheese event.
    It is mandatory to link the event announcement to your recipe post for the entry to be accepted.

    http://www.simplysensationalfood.com/2013/08/announcing-event-lets-cook-with-cheese.html

    Please can you make the necessary addition to your post.
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete

So...what were you saying??